Number of servings: 1 lb
Difficulty level: Medium

Ingredients

1 ounce of high grade to medium grade cannabis
Comment: I recommend getting to know your budtender at your local dispensary. They can help guide you through the vast variety of cannabis choices. Tell them that you are making cannabutter and would like one ounce of medium to high grade bud. Just like cooking with wine, you always want to use a wine that you would drink by the glass. The reason behind that is once you cook down the wine the flavor only intensifies. If you do not start with a high quality bud you will be able to recognize this in your final product. The potency may not reach the desired level and the flavor may be off putting. NOTE: Look to attached calculation estimates for dosing help

2 cups of water
In addition to the 2 cups set aside a 1⁄2 cup water to add (if needed) throughout the cooking process

1 lb. unsalted butter

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Equipment needed to get started:

1. Clean/grease free working stove top burner with controllable temperatures.
  2. Clean and dry heavy duty sauce pot with tight fitting lid. (medium size is ideal) Avoid using a large size pot for this recipe, because controlling the distribution of the heat will be important in order to not scorch the bud or butter as it cooks.
  3. Coffee grinder dedicated to grinding bud and only bud.
  4. Cheesecloth or VERY fine mesh strainer
    *I recommend cheesecloth for this recipe, because it allows for optimal extraction. *Cheesecloth is cheap and easily found at your local grocery store most likely near the cooking equipment, or as odd as it sounds in the meat department.
  5. It is best to freeze the finished cannabutter to maintain freshness and potency, so have a container that is freezer safe, clean, and dry ready to use.
    *NOTE: Regular glass jars break easily at freezer temperatures. Use a wide‐mouth dual purpose jar made for freezing and canning; these jars have been tempered to withstand extremes in temperatures.
  6. Plastic whisk that will not scratch the surface of your sauce pot.
    *NOTE: When the surface of a pot is scratched there is a possibility that unwanted material from the pot itself could contaminate the butter and leave it unusable.
  7. Clean and dry large glass bowl.
    *NOTE: Glass is important to use while straining the cannabutter after heating. Using a metal or plastic bowl could run the risk of contaminating the butter with chemicals found in plastics and metals.
  8. Sturdy spatula (preferably metal)
  9. Plastic wrap

Directions

Decarboxylation

You should decarboxylate ("decarb") your cannabis before cooking with it, as this helps release the full potential of the THC.  Here's a guide to decarboxylation times:

TemperatureHeating ModePlant Material TimeKief / Hash TimeCannabis Oil
310F Oven 10 - 18 minutes 5 - 10 minutes  
250F Hot oil bath     Until bubbles taper off
240F Oven 50 - 60 minutes 30 - 40 minutes  
212F Boiling water bath 90 minutes 90 minutes  

Making cannabutter is an uncomplicated recipe, but good quality cannabutter comes down to the details. There are guidelines that I follow when making infusions at home, because this is not a recipe where you want to waste a lot of your ingredients. (Especially when working with costly high quality/medium grade bud.) Keeping that in mind, the following has helped me through my experimentation with cannabis recipes, and I hope you find it just as helpful.
There are a few popular ways to produce cannabutter. Two of the most widely used methods are the stove top and slow cooker/crockpot. I will be focusing on the stove top method to begin, but no matter the heat source there are a few precautions to keep in mind.

• Wear suitable clothing. When working with heat, oil/fat, and water there are many ways in which you can burn yourself. Having worked in kitchens as long as I have believe me when I say Cannabutter burns are NOT fun. To avoid burning yourself please wear long sleeves, tie long hair back, and wear heatproof gloves when handling anything hot.
  • Make sure that you have the right equipment. It doesn’t take much, but having all your tools
  • lined up/cleaned/and ready to go will make your life much easier.
  • Fun food fact: The French have a specific term for the process of having everything ready/put in place: ‘mise in place’
  • Lastly don’t be scared. Have fun with this process!

Procedure:

1. Bring 1 pound unsalted butter to room temp for easier melting.
    *NOTE: Best way to do this is to set butter on counter one hour before use.
  2. Grind 1 oz. cannabis to fine powder in CLEAN coffee grinder dedicated to cannabis. Scrape down the sides of the grinder after the first grind, and grind one more time to ensure every piece is broken down. The bud should resemble a flour‐like consistency.
  3. In medium size sauce pot bring 2 cups water to gentle boil.
  4. Add 1 pound or four sticks unsalted butter to boiling water, turn stove top to low, and put tight fitting lid on at this point.
  5. Once butter is melted into the water add the cannabis powder to the pot, and gently stir with plastic whisk. Stir until the mixture is clump free, and put lid back on the pot.
  6. Leave pot on stove, on low to medium‐low setting for 5 hours. Being sure to check on pot every so often, and if the water appears to be running low add one or two tablespoons of water as needed.
    *NOTE: The reason the water is used, in this recipe, is so that during the cooking process the water evaporates not the bud/THC or butter. The butter is becoming concentrated with the THC, and the water aids in this process but will be separated out in the final product.
  7. After simmering the butter for at least 5 hours and no more than 6 hours, remove from stove top and set aside to cool as you prep for the next stage.
  8. Take glass bowl and cover the top with the cheesecloth or very fine strainer. Strain the butter in the bowl over the cheesecloth. This is in order to catch all of the marijuana solids, and retain the THC. Most of the THC has been extracted from the bud itself, and the butter is what holds it now.
  9. Squeeze the cheesecloth into the bowl and dispose of the cannabis remains.
  10. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and chill in refrigerator for at least 24 hours.
  11. After chilling for 24 hours the butter will be ready to separate.
  12. Using sturdy metal spatula carefully remove the butter solids from the separated water and place on piece of plastic wrap. Continue this process until as much of the butter has been removed from the bowl. Discard remaining water.
  13. Place cannabutter in freezer safe jar, use right away, or freeze until needed.
    *NOTE: The butter will retain concentration and freshness in your freezer for at least a year, but left in the refrigerator it will begin to mold within two weeks.
    *DO NOT, I REPEAT, DO NOT USE MARGARINE OR VEGAN BUTTER!
    *IMPORTANT! ‐The cannabutter is to be used in recipes where you DO NOT cook it twice. This means feel free to use it in any baking applications, garlic breads, pasta, hot sauce, you name it, but do not bring the butter to a high temperature on its own. For example you would not want to sear a piece of meat or sauté vegetables using cannabutter. The high heat will burn off the THC, and leave you with a bitter and unusable product.